Quick and HEALTHY Shrimp and Shirataki Noodle Pho
Mmmm.... fall got me like: warm SOUP! With an upcoming trip planned to Vietnam, I have been getting inspired by playing with Asian flavours and meals. Although traditional Vietnamese Pho takes several hours to prepare, this quick version will surely meet your needs in a fraction of the time .
The best part about this soup is that it is packed with veggies and the noodles are completely GUILT FREE! Thats right! Shirataki Noodles are calorie-free, gluten-free and cook easily in broth! Be sure to rinse your noodles thoroughly before putting them in the broth as the liquid they are held in does have a slightly off-putting scent.
Alright! Here is your ingredient list:
1 Medium White Onion
3 Cloves of Minced Garlic
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
1 Inch Square Cube of Ginger - sliced
1 Green Jalapeno Pepper (optional)
3 Packs of Shiraktaki Noodles
8 Cups of Beef (low sodium option) Broth (or Veggie Broth if preferred)
2-3 Cups of Raw or Pre-Cooked Shrimp
2 Tbsp Olive (or other) Oil
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
3 Whole Cloves
2 Whole Star Anise Seeds
2 Tbsp Whole Coriander
Baby Bok Choy - 4 Cups Chopped
Bean Sprouts - To taste
Pea Shoots - To taste
Green Onion Chopped - To taste
Lime - 1-2 wedges/bowl
Sriracha to Taste
Here we go:
1. In the bottom of a large pot, place the minced garlic, sliced ginger, jalapeno and chopped onion in the olive oil and simmer for 3 minutes or until aromatic.
2. Add the broth to the pot along with the fish sauce, soy sauce and spices (cinnamon, cloves, anise and coriander). Heat until steaming.
3. Add shrimp to warm broth cook until pink.
4. Rinse shirataki noodles thoroughly and then add to broth.
5. Chop all the topping veggies while leaving the broth to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Serve into a nice big bowl. Add as many toppings as desired and any sauces that you may want! Sriracha and Hoisin Sauce are great options.
7. Repeat 6 ;)