When it comes to self-care and recovery, peanut rollers have taken the fitness world by storm. These little tools, shaped like two connected spheres forming a “peanut”, provide a unique way to target and relieve muscle tightness and discomfort. In this blog post, we’ll use the TBC cork peanut roller that can help you reduce muscle tension and improve your overall well-being.
1. Myofascial Release for Your Back:
The first exercise we'll look at is an effective way to release tension in your back muscles, specifically the thoracic spine and the muscles that run along your spine and shoulders.
How to Do It:
- Begin by sitting on the floor with your legs extended.
- Place the peanut roller horizontally behind you and lie back so that the roller sits under your upper back, just below your shoulder blades.
- Gently roll up and down, letting the roller massage the muscles on both sides of your spine.
- Pay attention to any tight or sore spots and hold the roller in those areas for a few seconds before continuing the rolling motion. Remember to breathe, and avoid rolling over any bones.
This exercise can provide much-needed relief for those who spend long hours at a desk or have a tendency to hunch their shoulders, as it helps to improve posture and reduce upper back tension.
2. Deep Hip Flexor Stretch:
If you're someone who sits a lot during the day or has tight hips, this exercise can be a game-changer. It's a great way to stretch and release tension in the hip flexors.
How to Do It:
- Begin by lying on your stomach with the peanut roller placed horizontally beneath the front of one hip.
- Support your upper body on your elbows and forearms.
- Slowly roll up and down, allowing the roller to apply pressure to your hip flexor muscles. Avoid rolling over any area of bone.
- When you find a tight spot, hold it for a few seconds to let the tension release.
This exercise can help increase hip flexibility and reduce lower back discomfort. It's especially beneficial for individuals who experience tightness from prolonged sitting or activities that strain the hip flexors.
3. Roll Out Your Calf Muscles:
For athletes, runners, or anyone experiencing calf tightness, rolling out your calf muscles with a peanut roller can work wonders in relieving tension and improving calf mobility.
How to Do It:
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended.
- Place the peanut roller horizontally under your calf, starting just below the knee.
- Use your hands to lift your hips off the ground slightly, so most of your body weight is on the roller.
- Roll back and forth along the length of your calf muscle, avoiding bony areas.
- Pay attention to areas of tightness, and hold the roller there for a few seconds to apply more pressure.
By rolling out your calf muscles regularly, you can reduce the risk of injury, enhance your running or sports performance, and alleviate calf tightness from various activities.
In conclusion, peanut rollers are fantastic tools for self-massage, stretching, and improving mobility. Incorporating these exercises into your daily routine can make a noticeable difference in how your body feels and performs. Whether you're seeking relief from back pain, hip tightness, or calf discomfort, peanut rollers are versatile and accessible tools that can help you roll away the aches and improve your overall well-being. You can check out our cork peanut roller HERE!
Remember to start slowly and use proper technique to avoid injury. It's always a good idea to consult with a physiotherapist if you have specific concerns or conditions. With consistency and a bit of experimentation, you'll discover the incredible benefits of these simple yet effective peanut roller exercises. Your body will thank you for the extra TLC!
If you are looking for more workout and rehab classes, our expert movement coaches on Stream TBC have resources to support you - join FREE now!